Domain Resources: According to Xplanations, the below illustrations of the Value Chain of the Domain Name Industry (DNI), shows the different layers within the industry, and the relationships between the players in each layer or segment.
Click the value chain image above for a bigger size of the illustration.
The value chain is made up of the Coordination Layer (ICANN & IANA), Wholesale Layer (Registry Operators & service Providers), Distribution Layer (Registrars), Resale Layer (Resellers), Consumer (Registrant). Let’s get to understand each layers of the domain industry value chain:
- Coordination Layer: The coordinating layer consist of ICANN and IANA. ICANN is responsible for the coordination of the global internet’s systems of unique identifiers and, in particular, ensuring its stable and secure operation. While the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is a department within ICANN responsible for the operational aspect of coordinating these identifiers in an unbiased, responsible and effective manner.
- Wholesale Layer: This layer consist of Registry Operators and Service Providers, who are responsible for the management, administration and promotion of a Top-Level Domain. Registry Service Providers manage the technical operations in support of Registry Operators.
- Distribution Layer: This layer of value chain in the domain industry, consist of Registrars who manage the provisioning of domain names under a Top-Level Domain.
- Resale Layer: Resellers are appointed by Registrars to increase their distribution network.
- Consumer Layer: These are the Registrants of domain names, and holds the right to use a specific domain name.